You have been Trumped!

The phenomenon that is Trump is for all to see. Everybody waited with baited breath on that cold Tuesday night, each with their own small prayer. As the night grew darker some sobbed while some cheered and that is how Democracy works. Like the words of the fake president in "The American President" - "You gotta really want it".

Democracy is a very humbling experience. It is the great equalizer between the high tower elites to the small man on main street. At the end of it all, it is the power of the voters that speak. You may or may not agree with it, but the power of democracy is in its ability to reshape history as dictated by the masses and not necessarily by conventional wisdom.

Conventional wisdom states that Trump should have been out of the race about 16 months ago. For every atrocious thing that he has said, there are several examples of people who have fallen on the wayside for having said or done way less. But then conventional wisdom and Trump do not get framed in the same sentence very often.

So how did this come to pass. Obama claims that he is not to blame for the rise of Trump. But as a early supporter, I say to you Mr.President, you need to take a fair share of the responsibility for the rise of Trump. Not that I would lay the greatest blame on you, but for you to shirk responsibility for the greatest upset in modern American politics would be rather irresponsible. After all Trump is going to be sitting that that office that you have adorned for 8 years now.

My disappointment is not in the policies that Obama worked on, or the things that he has said and done. As a matter of fact as I watch him in his last days as president I come to the sad realization that I am really going to miss one of the coolest political leaders I have seen and admired. No, my disappointment comes from the things he has not done.

As liberal as I think I am, I wish Obama had not left half the country feeling like the liberal agenda was being pushed down their throat. I wish the House and the Senate were a little more cordial to the President, but you play the cards yo are dealt. Mr. President, you should have gone to each Republicans and dismantled their resistance with some middle ground. You have the personality unlike any seen in presidential politics before and that was your weapon you bring people together. Not the democratic party. You could have done it. Republicans were fractured from within, you had the chance to bring them over to the center. It could have been a more moderate form of politics and you probably would not have got everything you wanted, but then I assume politics is all about give and take, right?

But you chose to tell everybody what the right thing to do was and as much as I agree with almost everything you stood for, I doubt you made any friends beyond your core base with that stance. While I know it is idealistic to stand by what you believe no matter what and you want to negotiate from a place of strength, a wounded foe will always see that as oppression rather than righteousness. I suspect that took the two parties further apart even though there was no unity within the other party.

That left all the people in the middle with a bad taste in their mouth. Now here we are, hoping upon hope that the ominous responsibility of leading the most powerful nation in the world will make Trump do the right thing, beyond his words.

No Mr.President you do not get to walk away blameless here. We all have our role to play in getting ourselves Trumped.




Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

To you my brother

Mathematics and I

Politician speaking